Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Season Of Giving

When I was about 8, I was into hand making a present for every single one of  my family members. My cousins, my aunts and uncles, my grandparents, my parents, and my brother. Every present was unique and represented them. I would plan months before in order to get it all done in time for Christmas.

I loved making and planning and wrapping the gifts, despite all the time and effort it took to get it all done. It was worth it when I saw the thankful expression on their faces. Even though the present wasn't a name brand or excellent quality, it still meant a lot to know that someone took all that time to do something, even very small, for you.

As I grew older I became more busy during the holiday season and didn't have as much time to give handmade gifts.

I want to start giving again, with more of a purpose, to give back to those in need, who might not get very much of anything this holiday season. 
Last year my family and I wanted to find an organization that we could get involved with; one that we could raise funds for, or get the word out for. That's how we found out about Tree*. An organization that collects donations for foster children in our county.
They have a huge ware house that serves as a store that holds all the donations; which range from toys, to clothes, to books, and even bikes! The foster children and their foster family get to go into this store many times a year to get anything they want absolutely free!
This year to give back to my community this holiday season, I have decided to go through my closet and give away any of the clothes that I don't wear often enough, or can't fit into, to Tree*. By doing this simple act of kindness, I will be supplying Christmas presents for foster children all over my city. 
~For those of you in my area, and who want to help me by giving donations, email me and we can figure something out. I would love for you to be part of this journey with me. ~

The Season of Giving!

2 comments:

Brianne said...

Hi Orphan Lifegaurd! I would love to donate some items...are they looking for used items also? Will they accept toys too? I am so thankful that you and your family have introduced me to such a wonderful organization!!

Orphan Lifeguard said...

Awesome!!
They accept used,and new items...and toys. :)

Thanks soo much!!

~OL